Citizens across Trinidad and Tobago have been seeking out political representation that understands leadership, governance and respect for the basic dignities of all. This representation must offer a holistic vision for our country that is premised on the dreams, hopes, aspirations and collective efforts of all our people. Over the years citizens have either settled for representation that has consistently fallen short of meeting this criteria or given up altogether on the belief that such representation exists.
However 2019 has given birth to a political organisation that can provide the light which citizens have been so desperately seeking. The Progressive Party is an organisation which seeks not to build its foundations on the failings of other political organisations but rather harness the potential and strength of the people of Trinidad and Tobago which have been overlooked for far too long.
The Progressives, as we are known, represent Centre-Left politics or Progressivism. This type of political ideology believes in social equality through the provision of equal opportunities, while demanding that there be personal responsibility for things within the control of individuals. Additionally, reforms are seen as the vehicles through which social improvement can take place. Our organisation believes in small to moderate government that focuses on facilitating the endeavours and aspirations of its citizens in a reasonably regulated environment.
The Progressives call upon all citizens to help shape this organisation into one which can truly be the voice of the people. We seek not to impose anything on the population but rather fulfill the wishes of the people. With a diverse team of independent thinkers who all agree that national development and unity are interdependent, this is how we hope to guide the nation!
Our goal is to disrupt the political landscape by inspiring a national rejection of the 30-year political deadlock sustained by the incumbent parties.
We aim to create a proactive government that will inspire individual productivity and personal responsibility among each and every citizen. We shall facilitate the hopes and desires of our people in order that we may realise our fullest potential and, by extension, that of our country.
Our mission is to usher in a new generation of sustainable innovation and transparent and accountable politics. This shall be done by rallying the people and facilitating their access to the mechanisms necessary to redefine national pride and political willpower. It will in turn naturally lead to constitutional reform and social and economic reengineering through non-tribal politics.
The Party is built on the belief that a political organisation must fundamentally:
- I. Be an organisation of competent, enterprising and self-confident citizens, who are capable of taking responsibility for themselves, for their community and for their country;
- II. Uphold the tenets of democracy and the rule of law in the pursuit and delivery of good governance to their compatriots;
- III. Inculcate an abiding appreciation and respect for society’s diversity, in all its forms, in order to foster harmony, understanding, cooperation and togetherness and promote national unity, purpose and cohesion;
- IV. Represent equally the interests of all citizens regardless of ethnicity, race, colour, religion, gender, physical or mental ability, age, sexual orientation, origin or status in society;
- V. Encourage that all citizens have a voice in decision-making, either directly or through legitimate intermediate institutions that represent their interests.